Re: UTF-8 code in HTML

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 13:01:37 EDT

Glen Perkins wrote:

> Then there's Japan. Now here's where it appears that a native speaking
> Japanese using a Japanese OS and Netscape 4.x in its default state will be
> unable to render Japanese encoded in UTF-8 because the default font for
> UTF-8 is a western font. Jungshik is saying that Netscape does "font
> switching", if I'm understanding him correctly, which should obviate this
> problem, but it was my understanding that this didn't become a feature until
> Mozilla. Maybe it's true of Netscape 4.7, but I thought all Netscape 4.x's
> in Japan had a "one default font per encoding" limitation, and that a
> non-Japanese font was made the default for Japanese Netscape 4.x.

As I mentioned earlier, Nav4 ***for Win32*** does not support font
switching. This means that Japanese UTF-8 pages won't work on browsers
that haven't had their Unicode font changed from the default
Times/Courier to a Japanese font. The other versions of Nav4 (Win16,
Mac, Unix) *do* have font switching built in. I think Jungshik uses Unix
a lot, so he often comments on the Unix version.

Erik