Re: UTF-8 code in HTML

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 20:29:09 EDT

Glen Perkins wrote:

> I'm assuming that "Nav4 for Win32" means all localized versions of Nav4
> for Win32.

Yes.

> If so, then the next question has to be, in what locales was the
> non-switching font set, by default, to a font that was incapable of
> rendering the language of the locale?
>
> Japan (ja-JP) is the one that has been named explicitly. Was a Latin-1 font
> made the default in every localized version of Nav4 for Win32? Is the
> default Nav4 for Win32 incapable of rendering the (UTF-8 encoded) locale
> language in all non-Latin-1-using locales?

The default fonts for Unicode in all localized versions of Win32 Nav4
were Times and Courier (as far as I know). As Antoine mentioned, Times
and Courier are rather limited on some (localized) versions of Windows,
while others have the full "WGL4" set (Windows Glyph List 4), which
includes Latin, Greek and Cyrillic (I think). These fonts even contain
Hebrew in the Hebrew versions of Windows, I believe.

So, all other locales are affected. This includes Japan, Korea, China
and Taiwan, and a number of other locales that are not supported (very
well) by Nav4, such as Thailand, Israel, Saudi Arabia, India, etc.

Erik