Re: Official ISO 639 changes

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 08:21:47 EDT

Ar 04:13 +0200 2000-04-25, scríobh Keld Jørn Simonsen:

>> - New definitions of 2-letter codes make it more difficult
>> to define what code should be used in ietf-based protocols.
>> Originally, the idea for the update to RFC 1766 was to use
>> the two-letter code where this already existed, but the
>> three-letter code for the other languages. This will need
>> some more thought, and probably a cutoff date or a precedence
>> rule. The table would provide enough information for that.
>
>I think we should be careful with such rules, viz. the recent
>discussion on Lithuanian characters in 10646.

The situation with the ISO 639 codes has nothing whatsoever to to with UCS
normalization, and the Lithuanian LETTERS can be represented by strings of
CHARACTERS in the UCS.

The cutoff date in this instance ensures that people who have used a 639-2
code will not subsequently have a new 2-letter code added (if such had not
existed by the time of the cutoff date).

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169