Glyph sources (was Re: Resources)

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 11:48:18 EDT

At 8:17 PM -0800 4/25/2000, Mark Davis wrote:
>Hacked fonts may be useful as a source of glyphs...
>
>Mark

So how much of the allocated code space is covered by fonts that we
can mine (public domain, open source, possibly some freeware)?

If we can get consistency within each writing system, a set of
properly encoded open source fonts would be a big help. (I'm not
proposing a ransom note font for all of Unicode from every possible
source.) If we can get incomplete fonts (e.g. a Russian Cyrillic) the
effort of filling in the gaps would be far less than doing it all
from scratch.

While we're at it, how many of the 200+ writing systems *not* in
Unicode have fonts of any kind? How many have free fonts? Fonts that
can be reused?

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot!" exclaimed Alice. "Oh, do let me help to undo it."
Alice in Wonderland