FW: sinhala/pali support

From: Magda Danish (Unicode) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 13:02:17 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Lance Fiondella [mailto:lnfio@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2000 9:33 AM
To: info@unicode.org
Subject: sinhala/pali support

i scoured your web to the best of my ability, but came up empty. i am in
the process of automating an entire line of language texts for the south
asia program at cornell university. i implemented the program with a true
type font because i was impatient in learning the material, and wouldn't
wait around for a unicode version. i understand that version 3.0 supports
sinhala, and while i saw links on the local web to the font vendors, i know

end user support is rarely provided for an obscure language such as this
one. i would like to port my ascii vocab and reading files to binary
encoded documents, as the string scheme seems awkward. i would like to
provide you with my working understanding of unicode in order that you might

best assist me. perhaps some one could direct me to an encapsulated text or
set of web documents, and not unwittingly lead me astray on the local web.
i noted that the local ftp site had java code on it, but my implementation
was in vb. i successfully mapped the roman script transliterations of the
pali text readings into the previously mentioned true type font, though
there were mild difficulties. i also intended to rewrite the algorithm for

a glossary suppliment sort on the data set after i've throttled the files
into their appropriate encoding ,and performed substituons on the
combinations i was unable to produce out of the old encoding. i would like
to provide that author with confidence in the integrity of the encodings,
and am certain that they will be comfortable knowing that there texts are in

a maintained format, and that they will continue to go on being supported,
and are conceptually separate froms source code an interfaces.

i'm looking for a running start, and am willing to invest in a font that
will allow me to get out of the dungeon of bit encoding in order that i
might get the update to the author in a timely fashion.

Thank you,

Lance Fiondella