Re: Japan opposes any proposals with “UNICODE is the only

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 15:19:52 EDT

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> To give you at least some substance: the argument was made that the
> Unicode CJK characters are insufficient to faithfully write people's
> names, since the various traditions and character reforms in China,
> Korea, and Japan have produced differences that, while they may be
> unimportant in usual writing, are important in name writing. Example
> is Korean nationals living in Japan.

  Hmmm..... I don't understand their point at all. If Unicode/ISO 10646
can't deal with Korean names in Japan, how on earth could its subset
JIS X 208/JIS X 212 have dealt with them? Did they mean that
they would use ISO-2022-JP-2 in that case? If ISO-2022-JP-2
is a solution, LANG tag in Unicode should be a better solution.

   I've yet to see a single Korean expert making as much
complaints as Japanese experts do on Han Unification. As I wrote before,
what one of Japanese sent to me as the most prominent examples of
difference between CJK ideographs in two countries are well within the
boundary of Korean typographic tradition.

    Jungshik Shin