Bit-twiddling complaint about bidi categories

From: John O'Conner (john.oconner@eng.sun.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 04:11:58 EDT

In addition to my earlier questions about PDF, RLE, LRE, RLO, and LRO, I
also have a complaint...

Not only do I not understand why these properties are necessary, but I
have to allocate another bit of memory to accomodate them in my
character property database. Without these I could have continued to use
4 bits for 16 possible bidi categories...now I need 5 bits for these
additional properties that have only 5 characters among them. What a
waste of a bit! Surely other bit-twiddlers can show some sympathy. :)

-- John O'Conner