Re: Transliteration of Arabic characters into English

From: Vladas Tumasonis (vladas.tumasonis@maf.vu.lt)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 02:24:14 EDT

Brendan Murray/DUB/Lotus wrote:
> Vladas Tumasonis <vladas.tumasonis@maf.vu.lt>wrote:
> >Brendan Murray/DUB/Lotus wrote:

> >> Geographic Names into English text.
> >> See the ICU project - there's some Arabic/Latin transliteration already
> >> done there. It's on http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu.

> >> failed to find a code for:
> >> In general, you can encode an accented character using the base
> character +
> >> the combining accent. For example, in the case of CAPITAL Z WITH
> CEDILLA,
> >> you can generate this using LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z (U+005A) + COMBINING
> >> CEDILLA (U+0327).
> >>
> >> B=
> >
> > It is possible? CAPITAL Z WITH CEDILLA has not own Unicode code. So this
> > letter should be expressed by composite sequence as you wrote (and the
> > glyph should be generated in rendering). But as I know there is no yet
> > implementation of this feature, there is no text processor supporting
> > composite sequences. O may be there is some possibility?
>
> Actually, very many products already process combining characters
> correctly.You might consider upgrading whatever you're using, if you need
> support for such characters. For example, there is currently talk of
> encoding the CopyLeft symbol in Unicode. Just as an excercise, we found
> that this non-existant character could easily be displayed in Lotus 1-2-3,
> using the currently encoded characters.

We use Microsft text processors (Word ...). Thank you for information
about Lotus 1-2-3. We shall try.

> > It is very very important for Lithuania because Lithuanian language has
> > 35 accented letters (latin letters with acute accent, grave accent and
> > tilde) that have not UCS codes. And we can not enter, process and
> > display (print) such letters using multibyte technology.
>
> What Lithaunian character is not in Unicode? I think you'll find that
> you're mistaken - perhaps you're confusing Unicode with ASCII.

Oh. It is impossible to mix Unicode with ASCII. Really we have problem
for adding Lithuanian Accented Letters to Unicode. See
http://www.mif.vu.lt/tk4/lithacc/

Vladas Tumasonis

Associate professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science,
Vilnius University
Naugarduko Str. 24, LT-2600 Vilnius, Lithuania
Ph.: +370-2-336035 Fax: +370-2-251585
E-mail: vladas.tumasonis@maf.vu.lt