Re: dozenal and hexadecimal digits

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 05:33:23 EDT

Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com wrote:

> Robert Lozyniak wrote:
> > Are there characters for DUODECIMAL DIGITs TEN and ELEVEN, or
> > HEXADECIMAL DIGITs TEN thru FIFTEEN? (Besides LATIN CAPITAL
> > LETTERs A thru F)
>
> Yes: LATIN SMALL LETTERs A thru F. :-)

To name a few others:
GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA to DIGAMMA (or STIGMA)
CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER A to IE
etc. :-)

> And, by the way, do you know whether base-4 numbers have a special name?

zéro
un
deux
trois

:-)

By the way, I took advantage that in French numbers up to 16 have a special
name to design a system to "read" hexadecimal numbers (instead of spelling
when a digit from ten to fifteen appears):

0 zéro
1 un
2 deux
3 trois
4 quatre
5 cinq
6 six
7 sept
8 huit
9 neuf
A dix
B onze
C douze
D treize
E quatorze
F quinze
10 seize
11 seize-et-un (that is the most difficult to remember)
12 seize-deux
1B seize-et-onze
1F seize-quinze
20 vingt
2A vingt-dix
30 trente
6A soixante-dix
70 septante (better than soixante-seize!)
80 quatre-vingt ou octante ou huitante
90 nonante
A0 dixante
B0 onzante
C0 douzante
D0 treizante
E0 quatorzante
F0 quinzante
100 cent
101 cent-un
110 cent-seize
1000 mille
10000 seize mille

But I never find myself to use it: habits are too much engraved,
and 71 is definitively "soixante-et-onze", and 18 is "dix-huit"
instead of "seize-huit" to me.

Antoine