Re: Transliteration of Arabic characters into English

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 15:37:03 EDT

At 02:02 -0800 5/12/2000, Graeme E. Coutts wrote:
>Thanks for all the info concerning my original question on Arabic
>transliteration. One final question please (bear with me..I'm new at this
>Unicode)...
>
>To generate the CAPITAL Z WITH CEDILLA, I must use LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z
>(U+005A) + COMBINING CEDILLA (U+0327). That fine for file storage, but I
>will need to generate a glyph for display purposes showing the combination
>character. I can easily create the combined character glyph with my font
>package - my question is what code can I give this glyph. Is there a special
>area reserved for this purpose?
>
>Regards,
>
>Graeme Coutts.

The glyph does not need a Unicode code point, and should not be given
one. Current font formats allow for tables of glyph properties,
including which glyphs to use for rendering sequences of combining
characters.

As a temporary measure while waiting for correctly implemented fonts,
you can use the Private Use Area to give your glyphs temporary
Unicode code point numbers.

Edward Cherlin, Spamfighter <http://www.cauce.org>
"It isn't what you don't know that hurts you, it's
what you know that ain't so."--Mark Twain, or else
some other prominent 19th century humorist and wit