From: John Cowan (
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 13:42:23 EDT

Michael Everson wrote:

> >It ["copyleft"] is a common name that is not meant to be
> >translated
> You cannot stipulate this. "Copyright" is commonly translated.

The GNU page uses the term,
and the page defines it.

The Spanish, French, Norwegian, Turkish, and Russian versions of these
pages use "copyleft" -- in the Russian page, using Latin script to boot.
The Japanese version says "「コピーレフト」", which I cannot interpret,
but appears to be katakana, thus probably a borrowing as well.

Only the Italian version uses the phrase "software libero senza
permesso d'autore", with a translator's footnote:

        Si tratta di un gioco di parole, che qui viene
        reso con "permesso di autore": copyright
        (diritto di autore) formato dalle parola "copy" (copia)
        e "right" (diritto, ma anche destra), opposto di "left"
        (sinistra, ma anche lasciato).

So I think "copyleft" is established as a multilingual word among the
community of interest.

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)