From: John Cowan (
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 15:51:20 EDT

Antoine Leca wrote:

> I do not know if the inventor(s) of the words had this idea, or even if
> this interpretation only comes from my French-biased interpretation of
> the English (I mean, I do not know if "to left" is appropriate in the
> context above). But I feel the story was too nice.

The Emacs glossary connects "copyleft" and "copyright" with left- and right-wing
programmers, presumably humorously. I have also heard the story that
"copyleft" was originally attached to a hard-copy document meaning
"copy as much as you like".

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)