Re: dozenal and hexadecimal digits

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 16:09:07 EDT

Michael Everson wrote:

> >And, by the way, do you know whether base-4 numbers have a special name?
>
> Tetradecimal, I suspect.

Arrgh, no. That would be base 14, and a bogus Greco-Latin hybrid to boot.
We already have a hybrid for base 16, which is bad enough.

Raymond Brown, former teacher of Classics, posted the following table on
Conlang:
         FROM LATIN FROM LATIN FROM
RADIX DISTRIBUTIVES FRACTIONS GREEK
 2 binary dimidial dyadic
 3 ternary/trinary tertial triadic
 4 quaternary quartal tetradic
 5 quinary quintal pentadic
 6 senary sextal hexadic
 7 septenary septimal heptadic
 8 octonary octaval octadic
 9 novenary nonal enneadic
10 denary decimal decadic
11 undenary undecimal hendecadic
12 duodenary duodecimal dodecadic
16 senidenary sextadecimal heccaedecadic
20 vicenary vigesimal icosadic

'vicesimal' would be more correctly derived from Latin 'uicesima (pars)' =
1/20. But, tho my dictionary does give 'vicesimal' as an alternative to
'vigesimal', I fear the latter is too entrenched in the language now.

'heccaedecadic' would be /hEksIdI'k&dIk/ and spellt/ spelled 'heccedecadic'
in north America, I assume :)

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)