Using PUA for font mapping (was: Re: Transliteration of Arabic characters...)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 10:26:21 EDT

Antoine Leca <Antoine.Leca@renault.fr> wrote:

>> Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

>> >given one. Current font formats allow for tables of glyph properties,
>> >including which glyphs to use for rendering sequences of combining
>> >characters.

<snip>

>> Tools for creating such fonts are not at all hard to come by. Lots of
>> people have copies of Fontographer, which can readily create a font
>> with PUA characters.
>
> We are not talking about PUA characters, but rather about strings of
> multiple Unicode characters that intends to be represented as
> only one glyph (here, upper- or lower-case Z plus cedilla combining
> character).

Right, but we are also talking about using a PUA code point to refer to
that glyph in the font.

The user would specify, or the file or other data stream would contain,
U+005A (or U+007A) plus U+0327. Since all or most of the font experts
here seem to agree that having the rendering engine create this glyph
"on the fly" would yield unsatisfactory results, there needs to be a
precomposed glyph already in the font. The glyph needs an internal code
point, and the PUA is being proposed as the place for it.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California