Re: Accents in Greek and in Greek Extended

From: John Cowan (
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 13:13:27 EDT

Andreas Prilop wrote:
> What is the difference (if any) between U+03AC and U+1F71?

There is none. U+1F71 was created on the mistaken belief that the
tonos accent was a vertical line rather than an acute. This was
fixed in Unicode 2.0.

> Is the neutral accent of the Greek block identified with the acute
> accent in the Greek Extended block?

> Which character should I use in polytonic Greek text: U+03AC or U+1F71?

The former. The latter is deprecated.

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)