Re: Info required on GSM 03.38 (SMS charset)

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 18:05:38 EDT

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> I wonder why N-tilde and E-acute, but no other vowels with acute, are
> assigned in the GSM code. These characters are necessary for Spanish.
> There must have been some intent to support Spanish; otherwise the
> inverted question mark and inverted exclamation point would not have
> been encoded.

I think the e-acute vs. e-grave is to support French. Would it be
tolerable to render Spanish with graves in a highly limited repertoire?
If so, then that can be added to the French, Italian, Scandinavian
langs, and GREEK SHOUTING already supported.

John Cowan cowan@ccil.org
        Yes, I know the message date is bogus. I can't help it.
                --me, on far too many occasions