Re: Digit names; hex characters?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 11:45:06 EDT

Robert Lozyniak <11@marril.com> wrote:

> Should we have characters called "HEXADECIMAL DIGIT TEN" thru "FIFTEEN"?
> This would be so I can see them written as A thru F, a Greek or Russian
> would see them in her letters, etc.

This sounds a lot like the contextual glyph shaping behavior controlled
by U+206E and U+206F, which Unicode 3.0 describes (with their emphasis)
as "STRONGLY discouraged."

So-called "alternate forms" of characters that properly belong in
separate scripts should be encoded separately. That is just as true for
Latin vs. Greek vs. Cyrillic letters as it is for European-Arabic vs.
Arabic-Indic digits.

This is different from the issue of certain Russian vs. Serbian letters
which properly belong in the same script and differ only in specific
type styles.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California