Re: Classification of Tamil Aytam [Was: Script Names]

From: Padma kumar .R (padmaxi_unicode@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 02:32:18 EDT

Dear Mark Davis, Antoine Leca,

    Actually in Thamizh, the alpahebet Aayitham (triangular dots) which look like,

o o

    is not a vowel (even though listed at the end of vowel list) and not a consonent and not a combination letter. The actual pronounsation is Akh (normally end with a sound when teeths strike each other). This is a very rarely used alphabet.

    We can only see this letter to be used in olden scripts and old literatures. And used before or after other alphabets in a word to give a stress to the pronounsation of that pirticular alphabets.

    For example in Thamizh "Athu" means "that". Some times we can find Aayitham inside "Athu" as "Aakhthu' and should be pronounced as 'Akhthu". and will not change the meaning. Here akh should be pronounced as 'H' with the internal pronounsation of 'K'. We can find alphabets like Aayitham in Arabic Alphabets.

    In mordern Thamizh, Aayitham is used in conjunction with 'P' to give the pronouncation of 'F', like 'Ph'.

Thanks
- Padmakumar. R.
(padmaxi_unicode@hotmail.com)