Re: Windows Bitmap fonts and Unicode

From: Torsten Mohrin (mohrin@sharmahd.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 15:27:18 EDT

Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh@sina.sharif.ac.ir> wrote:

>Do you know whether or not Windows Bitmap fonts (.FON files) support
>Unicode or i18n information in any way? And in either case, are there good
>free tools available for manipulation them?

I can't say anything about the ROM raster fonts of Windows CE (they
should be somehow Unicode enabled, I guess).

If you want to use .FON bitmap fonts, you should use 16-bit Windows
2.0 format, because not all display drivers support 3.0 fonts and
32-bit .FON files are not recognized by Windows 95.

If you use 2.0 format, there are restrictions: 256 glyphs maximum, 64
kB size limit per font. However you can put several fonts into one
font file. There seems to be no limit of the total file size. We are
using Windows 2.0 bitmap fonts in SC UniPad. The font file includes
over 40 fonts. Some of them use all positions from 0 to 255. If you
want to use those fonts for Unicode you have to treat them as simple
glyph collections and manage character-glyph-mapping explicitly.

Unfortunately I don't know about free tools. If you are owner of a
Borland C++ version, you can use Borland's Resource Workshop 1.0.
Microsoft's Windows 3.1 SDK also includes a raster font editor.

--Torsten