Re: South African languages character repertoires, keyboards and

From: James E. Agenbroad (jage@loc.gov)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 10:43:47 EDT

                                                  Thursday, June 1, 2000
I have no answers to these questions. I think at some point one would
need to define "covered by ISO/IEC 10646": If a South African language
uses a letter found in 10646 together with a combining character
(diacritic) found in 10646 with a separate code, but 10646 has no code for
the precomposed combination of the two, is that language "covered"? A
list of all letters, diacritics and combinations for each language would
seem a good place to start.
     Do all these languages use versions of latin script?
     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( jage@LOC.gov )
     The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
views of any government or any agency of any.
Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US mail: I.T.S. Dev.Gp.4, Library
of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE, Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.