Re: Naming of functional ASCII characters in Unicode

From: Doug Ewell (
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 01:24:27 EDT

Bernd Warken <> wrote:

> The Unicode ASCII range U+00-7F still shows elements of the out-dated
> glyph approach instead of the intended character abstraction. This
> mail tries to point out some places where Unicode uses a text-oriented
> naming, tho a functionally oriented naming would be more suitable.

> Copyleft 2000 by Bernd Warken <>

I am curious about what "copyleft" means in the context of a document,
such as your posting about Unicode character names. Does it mean that
I am free to read and re-distribute your posting, and further that I am
free to *modify* and re-distribute it as I choose, so long as the
intended recipients in turn have the same freedom? Please help me
understand this, as I am unfamiliar with the application of copyleft to

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California