RE: Naming of functional ASCII characters in Unicode

From: Yves Arrouye (yves@realnames.com)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 18:59:37 EDT

> Bug-fixing is wanted in free software, but it is deprecated in dead
> commercial standards. So where is the future to be found?

Backwards compatibility is also wanted in free software, because people
depend a lot on old APIs. That's not different here: we have normative names
that may look like they need to be fixed, and then alternative names that,
as has been suggested, could be accepted to by a given Unicode
implementation. But an application that wants to be safe and understood
unambiguously will stick to the normative names.

YA