Re: (TC304.2308) translating logical operators

From: Pblair@worldbank.org
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 11:51:44 EDT

Alain AND Everybody:

Some minds just can't deal with logic, much less logical operators.

Once upon a time, I had the job of trying to make a colonel in the U.S. Army
sound literate. (I was drafted.) I soon found out that progress would be made
only one tiny step at a time, if at all.

My first step was to get the "slashes" out. He loved the slipperiness of
"and/or" and used it all the time, but pronounced it "and-slash-or." I finally
persuaded him that that was not the "college" way to do it, and he got pretty
good at just saying "and-or."

But then I over-reached. I tried to explain to him that "x and/or y" really was
the same as "x or y or both," and that this was the much more natural way is
speaking. "Is that the college way?" "Yessir." So we went through a big
speech replacing all the and/or's. He was so proud of himself when he delivered
it: but all the way through he was saying "x and-slash-or y and-slash-or both."

Sorry to be not exactly on-topic, but I had to unburden myself. Now I feel much
better.

Philip Blair (ex-P.F.C.)

"Alain" <alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca> on 06/09/2000 11:02:19 AM