Bengali (was RE: (TC304.2308) translating logical operators)

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 01:22:04 EDT

At 11:58 AM -0800 6/9/00, Ayers, Mike wrote:
> ObUnicode: Does anyone have any handy pointers to Bengali fonts,
>input methods and/or implementations that would run on a native English
>Windows, Mac, or Unix system?

Hey, this is the Internet. Come on.

I have Unitype Global Writer and Global Office. Both include Bengali
(and many other) fonts and keyboards. Global Writer is a standalone
word processor, and Global Office lets you type Bengali into any
Microsoft Office application under Windows 95 or later. Bengali
ligatures and vowel placement are handled quite reasonably, at least
to my somewhat ignorant eye. (I know Devanagari much better.) See

http://www.unitype.com

The first of several hundred hits that Google turned up for (Bengali
font Macintosh) was

http://www.gy.com/language/bn.htm

which offers

>Bengali
> Bengali Software Digest
>
> Desktop Publishing
> Education Software
> Input Software
> Operating Systems
> Translation Software

including Bengali fonts for Mac and Windows.

Similarly, I got more than 300 hits for (Bengali font Unix) and about
200 for (bengali keyboard unix), including

Bengali Language Resources on the Web
http://theory.tifr.res.in/bombay/history/people/language/bengali.html

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot!" exclaimed Alice. "Oh, do let me help to undo it."
Alice in Wonderland