Re: [li18nux:625] X11 font descriptors for CJK UCS fonts

From: Martin J. Duerst (duerst@w3.org)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 05:48:17 EDT

At 00/06/10 12:03 +0100, Markus Kuhn wrote:
>Here is another (crazy?) idea for those who want to have national tags
>in the XLFDs of X Windows System UCS fonts and want to continue using
>ISO 2022 to preserve font styles:
>
>We could use the XLFD registry and encoding designator
>
> -ISO10646-1
>
>only for European fonts without CJK content (such as 6x13 and friends)

I think this is completely out of question. ISO10646 should stay for
what it is, and not a subset thereoff.

I'm not up to date with the syntax and processing implications of
the 'encoding designator', but it might be possible to use that
for versions, e.g. ISO10646-1995 (leaving -1993 out on purpose,
because that's before the Korean mess, and we don't want to go
back that far) or ISO10646-2000 (corresponding to Unicode 3.0).

For subsets, something like ISO10646-MES3 or so might be appropriate,
but againg it might not be appropriate.

>and derive from the names of the various national UCS variants new
>registry designators such as
>
> -GB13000-1 (China: GB 13000.1-93)
> -JISX0221-1 (Japan: JIS X 0221-1995)
> -KSX1005-1 (Korea: KS X 1005-1:1995)

These should just be different fonts, or different fonts
with different subset designators if they represent subsets.

>for Chinese, Japanese and Korean UCS fonts, which would have to be newly
>registered in
>
> ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/R6.4/xc/registry
>
>See also
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#national
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#subsets
>
>Similarly, the UTF-8 with standard return encodings of GB 13000.1-93,
>JIS X 0221-1995, and KS X 1005-1:1995 would have to be assigned their
>own ESC sequences in the ISO 2375 International Register of Coded
>Character Sets on
>
> http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/ISO-IR/
> http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/ISO-IR/2-8-1.htm

Oh please no, let's not go there!