RE: Linguistic precedence [was: (TC304.2313) AND/OR: antediluvian

From: jarkko.hietaniemi@nokia.com
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 12:54:15 EDT

> This conflates two separate issues: tailoring for localization, and
handling
> multiple characters as single. Both are well handled by the collation TR.

Separating character set collation from localized collation is a technical
difference
the end users (remember those pesky creatures that always complain? :-)
couldn't possibly
care less. I agree on that the Unicode 'baseline collation' is a Very Good
Thing to
have, though.

> Note that collation is user-locale-specific, not language-specific:
> as an anglophone browsing a list of Swedish personal names, I want them
> collated in English order (ignore accents), not Swedish order.

A very good point.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jarkko.hietaniemi@nokia.com>