MathML characters (was Re: Characters for Programming Languages)

From: Tony Graham (tgraham@mulberrytech.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 17:23:51 EDT

At 19 Jun 2000 04:00 -0800, brendan_murray@lotus.com wrote:
> Have a look at the MATHML pages at http://www.w3.org/Math to see if this
> provides what you want: I'm not a fan because of its wide use of
> private-use characters, but I expect these will be encoded in Unicode at
> some point (allowing for many fun-filled days trying to convert existing
> data).

Which is why the MathML Recommendation recommends that you use entity
references in your data instead of characters.

From Section 6.2.2 of http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-MathML/chapter6.html:

   Those codes beginning with the hex digit E, e.g., E321,
   indicate assignments to the private zone of Unicode. This indicates
   that the character in question is not at present an official
   Unicode character. It is highly recommended that authors use entity
   names instead of Unicode values, especially for those characters in
   the Unicode private zone, as those values may change.

For example, MathML uses U+E8A7 for 'logical constant false', but it
also declares the entity &false; to represent the character. If you
use "" in your data, you'll have to changes the data at such
time as 'logical constant false' becomes a Unicode character and your
software supports it. However, if you use "&false;" in your data,
then at such time as 'logical constant false' becomes a Unicode
character and your software supports it, you can just update your
MathML entity declarations and you do not have to change individual
characters in your XML documents.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham mailto:tgraham@mulberrytech.com
Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9632
Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285