Re: UTF-8N?

From: Juliusz Chroboczek (jec@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 12:51:10 EDT

AL> I understand there is no way to know whether you SHALL/SHOULD/MAY
AL> delete it or not, but I fail to see the danger: BOM (well, ZWNBSP)
AL> cannot carry any useful meaning when it appears at the beginning
AL> of a text, can it? So what can be the problem?

You have a large plain-text Unicode file. It doesn't fit on a single
floppy, so you split it into two parts. You put the file onto two
copies with an MD5 checksum to ensure you know if the file gets
corrupted.

Later on, you merge the two files, and compute the checksum of the
concatenated file. If the program used for splitting inserted a BOM,
but the program used for merging didn't remove it, the checksum
comparison is going to fail.

                                        J.