Re: Bengali: variants of same conjunct

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 15:12:35 EDT

At 08:37 AM 21-06-00 -0800, Arijit Upadhyay wrote:

>Everybod, now I am in possession of the replies and I find that you have
>found it just right. The gif Abdul has put up is the exact thing I am
>referring to.

>> http://www.btinternet.com/~abdulmalik/nyu.gif

>Now, if I cannot implement the available normal options and Abdul has
>offered a number of options. What in your opinion would be the best
>possible method to implement this type of variants in present scenario.
>To be honest, I am basically a font/ web designer and just on the learning
>of unicode enabliing of Indic fonts.

The answer to your question depends on whether you need to be able to
present these two different forms in plain text. If you don't, I would
recommend using a Stylistic Alternate feature <salt> in an OpenType font,
in which one of these forms would be the default glyph and the other would
be a variant. This gives you a clean solution in which you do not need to
mess about with character order trying to force one form or the other
(which, as Chris Fynn points out, is something that should be standardised
if it happens at all). This solution could be applied on the Web using
Microsoft's WEFT font embedding tool.

Now, as Peter Constable pointed out, OpenType feature support is somewhat
limited at the moment, so while you can build an OT font with <salt>
features you will have trouble finding an application that enables them.
That said, however, I think this is certainly your best long term solution.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks
Vancouver, BC
www.tiro.com