Re: Plane 14 language tags

From: John Cowan (
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 14:00:15 EDT

Doug Ewell wrote:

> 2. (Ken and Glenn) Can you explain in a little more detail the rationale
> for lowercasing the entire language tag? It seems that if RFC 1766
> is the model to be followed, then the RFC 1766 casing convention
> (lowercase for language, uppercase for country) might be preferred.

(Non-authoritative response)

That convention is fine for writing tags, but not so fine for checking them.
If you are given a tag with random capitalization, it is far easier to canonicalize
it to all lower case rather than by the RFC 1766 suggestion, which operationally

        If the tag is of the form xx-yy, then lowercase xx and uppercase yy;
        otherwise lowercase everything.

In addition, as the space of tags grows, we might also have to handle xxx-yy
as well.

Personally, I always use all-lower-case tags: en-us. Note that this is not
the same as the locale en_US, which uses uppercase "US" and an underscore.

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)