Re: UTF-8N?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 23:19:02 EDT

Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> Yes. The Unicode Standard will deprecate the use of U+FFEF (Note: not
>> U+FFFE) as a zero-width non-breaking space (despite its formal name).
>>
>> And U+FFEF should *only* be used as a byte order mark and/or
>> signature. (That is already ambiguous and trouble enough -- without
>> tossing in the orthogonal issue of the need for a non-breaking zero-
>> width space.)
>
> In my book, this is one of the most egregious recent mistakes by the
> UTC. Especially in light of the fact that the use of FEFF as ZWNBSP
> is supported today in widely distributed software - who's going to
> convert all the data, and what will happen when "programs will feel
> free to toss out U+FEFF" as someone recently suggested.

Is there really a large amount of support in present-day software for
the zero-width no-break space? I'm not really sure that many users or
developers are even aware that it exists, or what it is used for.
Then again, I could be way wrong....

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California

--UAA02732.962077192/hpuxmail--