Re: Plane 14 language tags

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 11:02:23 EDT

Brendan Murray wrote:

> Murray Sargent <murrays@microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Note that in C, it's essentially just as fast to make character
> > comparisons with (ch | 0x20) as with ch alone, i.e., if you know
> > ch is in an ASCII range (0 - 0x7F or 0xE0000 - 0xE007F), you can
> > do a case insensitive compare as quickly as a case sensitive one.
>
> Except, of course, in Turkey where the lowercase of 'I' is not 'i' and the
> uppercase of 'i' is not 'I'.

Unless I missed a very recent draft (that ought to be refused, IMHO),
Turkey (or Azerbaijani) was not used for the plane 14 language tags,
was it?

And of course, the lowercase of "SS" in German is sometimes ß, the lower
case of an initial "E" in French followed by a consonnant is more often
"é" than "e", except if followed by "x"/"X" or a doubled one (like
"ff") or two consonant, first a nasal (like "mb", "nc", "MP", ...),
the lowercase of Italian (or Corsican) "A'", "E'", ... at the end of a
word is likely to be "à", "é/è", ... (Marco, is it really true? and how
é and è are handled?)
Et cætera.

Antoine