1. What are "plane 14 language tags"?
2. Just out of historical curiosity, what is a codepage / how did the name
/ numbers originate? I have over the years used the inferred definition
that it is an 8-bit character set selected by a number, but...
- Is this really the complete and accurate definition of what a 'codepage'
- Are these #'s always OS-specific, or sometimes standardized?
- Is there a rhyme or reason to the number assignments? It seems that
they were not assigned in sequence, unless each OS has hundreds or
thousands of code pages.
- Where did the term originate? It seems to have a hardware flavor, as if
an old piece of display hardware had selectable ROMed fonts.
This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:21:05 EDT