Re: Mixing languages on a Web site

From: Herman Ranes (herman@iet.hist.no)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 07:30:30 EDT

rampshot@usa.net skreiv:

> I am mixing Japanese and Turkish letters on my site.
>
> 1) How do I convert Latin-* text to UTF-8 text?
> 2) How do I convert Shift-JIS text to UTF-8 text?

I suppose you do not mean dynamic / server side conversion, but text
preparation only.

You can use MS Internet Explorer 5.0:

-Load the text

-Select codepage, so that the text displays properly

View - Encoding - More ---

-Save the UNICODE text file:

Save as - Encoding:UTF-8

> 3) How do I mark text as UTF-8?
If you can not configure the server to include the appropriate HTTP
header info, you can instead / in addition use the following META-tag in
the HTML code:

<HEAD>
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

</HEAD>

> 4) Will people actually be able to SEE BOTH the Japanese AND the Turkish?

If fonts with the required repertoire are installed, they will! (Mozilla
/ Netscape 6.0 requires no more preparations -- it will pick
subtitutions from the avalable fonts.)

If the HTML-text is language-tagged -- and the browser correctly
configured, the text may be displayed in correct font styles. (Japanese,
not Chinese.)

A page which contains both Japanese and Esperanto, in UTF-8 and with
language tags:
http://www.hist.no/~herman/eo/eo-jp.html
http://www.hist.no/~herman/eo/eo.html

> 5) Is there a little "formatted in Unicode" logo I can put on my site?
> 6) Is there a "Unicode Help" site so people like me don't have to post these
> questions on lists like these?
>
> I bet 1 and 2 could be done with CGI scripts, and 3 is trivial.

Herman Ranes                  Høgskolen i Sør-Trøndelag
                              Avdeling for teknologi
Telefon   +47 73559606        Institutt for elektroteknikk
Telefaks  +47 73559581
<herman@iet.hist.no>          N-7004 Trondheim
http://www.hist.no/~herman/   NOREG