Updating the FAQ (was: Re: Mixing languages on a Web site)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 19:10:06 EDT

Chris Fynn wrote:

> <Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com> wrote:
>
> > Probably the Unicode FAQ should be updated periodically
> > with questions asked on *this*list, such as problems
> > authoring web pages, selecting fonts, etc.
>
> I second that. As Unicode is increasingly available to
> users in operating systems, applications, and on the
> web, more and more people are going to be looking for
> answers to practical questions relating to how to use and
> display Unicode text in their favourite applications or on
> their web pages. The most obvious place for them to look
> for these answers is on the Unicode.org site

For those of you who may have missed Julie Allen's response to this
suggestion:

Julie Allen (editor for Unicode, Inc.) wrote:

> We are also working on major reorganization and expansion of the Unicode
> FAQs, based in part on the questions and answers on this list, as well as
> those which come into the Consortium's office. Both of these improvements
> are part of a larger project to redesign the web site. You can expect the
> redesign to debut by the end of July.

The UTC editorial committee has been actively culling useful answers
to questions posed on this list, and we are working on rolling out
a more extensive and detailed list of questions and answers on our FAQ,
organized better. We would do that tomorrow, if we could. But there are
practical issues in staging various updates to the site.

Patience, everyone. You will soon seen a marked improvement in the
FAQ on the Unicode website. Everyone is getting tired of having
to answer the same questions over and over. Well, maybe not Marco yet,
though his suggestion hints at the beginning of fatigue! ;-)

--Ken