Re: What I meant by furigana codes

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 18:46:53 EDT

Well, its not entirely fair to say that Furigana is another way of saying
Ruby in OpenType, since Furigana predates OpenType entirely, as well as the

They do provide the same functionality though... Furigana is best described
as a pronunciation description, which I believe is a fair description for
the HTML RUBY element/object, right? Although I believe RUBY can be used for
other annotations/descriptions as well (its been a while since I have looked
at it, so I am not 100% sure on this one).