Re: What I meant by furigana codes

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@dircon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 14:54:12 EDT

"John Hudson" <tiro@tiro.com> wrote:

> ... In any case, Furigana is definitely what Adobe had
> in mind when they registered the <ruby> feature, as
> is evident from the feature description.

Is this OT ruby feature to be applied when e.g. a <ruby></ruby>
tag is encountered in HTML / XML? Or is this supposed to be for
a whole different mechanism? MSIE5 already seems to recognise
the <ruby> tag in HTML and formats text appropriately.

This seems to work with text of different scripts so I don't
see why it can't be used for tonal annotations.

- Chris