Re: Plane 14 tags and SCSU

From: Mark Davis (markdavis@ispchannel.com)
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 15:27:39 EDT

In Asmus's defense, there are fewer recipients that will understand SCSU right now, so one needs to be a bit more carefull about slinging it around. On the other hand, for anything outside of plain English, it is quite a handy mechanism for interchanging Unicode text, so it can reduce memory consumption and/or transmission time where both sender and recipient understand it.

I should also mention that there is open-source code for SCSU available from IBM in ICU (C and Java):

In C:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/apiref/API1.5/API/scsu.h.html
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/cvs/icu/source/common/
look at scsu.c
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/cvs/icu/source/common/unicode/
look at scsu.h

In Java:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/cvs/icu4j/icu4j/src/com/ibm/text/
look at SCSU.java, UnicodeCompressor.java, and UnicodeDecompressor.java

Mark