Re: Control characters (was: furigana etc.)

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 14:40:40 EDT

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

> However, Gary Kildall's CP/M did use 1A SUB for end-of-file marks, and
> as far as I know, Microsoft/IBM DOS borrowed that practice, and many
> other things, from it.

Correct. I think that CP/M got it from RT-11, the single-process PDP-11
OS that it resembled in many respects, which in turn inherited it from
OS/8. So evidently OS/8 was the source of the ^Z = EOF convention.

	"You need a change: try Canada"  "You need a change: try China"
		--fortune cookies opened by a couple that I know