XML, HTML and unicode

From: Magda Danish (Unicode) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 17:50:37 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: P Ranganathan [mailto:pranga@india.hp.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 1:49 AM
To: info@unicode.org
Subject: problem with unicode

Hi,
   I wrote a small XML. I am reading the XML from a html file and populating
the "span id" by reading certain elements from XML file. The XML file
contains characters for all languages like english, french, chinese and
japanese. When i am displaying the englich and japanese characters it works
fine but it doesn't seem to work fine for japanese and chinese. More I saved
the xml file in unicode format. I have included charset as utf-8 in the html
file. The html file is able to able to read the aml file and populate
properly but only junk appears. I tried using GB2312 as charset also. Can
you provide a solution for this problem?..I even replaced the multibyte
characters with equivalent hex codes. Some characters turned out to be junk.
Is there any other solution available for this problem?

Regards,
Ranganathan