Re: Difference between EM QUAD and EM SPACE

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 19:04:27 EDT

At 02:32 PM 07-07-00 -0800, Patrick Andries wrote:

>Could someone explain to me what is the difference between an EM QUAD and an
>EM SPACE ?

In typography, an em equals the full height of the type body at a given
size, so for 12 point type the em equals 12 points. An em quad is a square
of -- e.g. 12x12. An em space is a horizontal space equal to the em height.

I haven't taken too close a look at the CSS documentation, so I'm not
entirely sure that em is used in the same way in that context.

John Hudson (glad to be able to comment on something that he knows about)

Tiro Typeworks
Vancouver, BC
www.tiro.com
tiro@tiro.com