Re: Control characters

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 01:47:47 EDT

At 11:00 AM -0800 7/6/00, jgo wrote:
> > John Cowan wrote:

Sorry, YDNRC.

> >> Also models 33 and 38, which also interpreted x0D as carriage return.
>
> > Definitely not true of the model 33; it interpreted 0A as a line-feed,
> > and if it received one not preceded by 0D
> > it would do this.
> > (Hopefully, you are all reading this email with a fixed-width font as
> > God intended.)
>
>Hmmm, well, of course, my memory could be faulty, but my recollection
>is that x0A was line-feed and x0D was carriage return, and each
>caused behavior accordingly (except that it was not the paper
>carriage that returned, but the type cylinder carriage) on all
>the Teletype models mentioned.

> >> That's non sequitur, but folks are like that.
>
> > How so? The LF behavior is different from the NL behavior.
[snip]

Yes, there is no ASCII NL character. On Teletypes and other ASCII devices

0Ah = ^J = LF = next line, straight down
0Dh = ^M = CR = beginning of line, straight left

exactly as the code charts say. You could send

UNDERLINE^M_________^M^J

to overstrike

UNDERLINE
_________

or you could do it the APL way:

U^H_N^H_D^H_E^H_R^H_L^H_I^H_N^H_E^H_

Multiple BS followed by LF was used to mean "delete to end of line"
on APL terimnals.^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^J
    minals.

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot!" exclaimed Alice. "Oh, do let me help to undo it."
Alice in Wonderland