Detecting installed fonts in a browser window [was Re: Traditional Chinese & Simplified Chinese]

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sina.sharif.ac.ir)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 16:07:07 EDT

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 addison@inter-locale.com wrote:

> Your page can also try to guess the names of installed fonts, [...]

Does any method exist to find out if a font is installed on a broswer?
Even methods that work on a single version of a single browser may be
helpful.

The reason that I need that may seem interesting to some Unicoders here:

Due to a bug in Arabic-enabled fonts distributed with IE 5, Tahoma, Arabic
Traditional, Courier New, etc., the medial form of
U+06CC (ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH) gets rendered exactly like the isolated
form. I completed a bug report on the Microsoft web page more than one
year ago, but even in the lately released version, IE 5.01 with SP1,
it's not fixed yet. The bug is only a forgotten field in the GPOS table of
the fonts, which I managed to correct using the TrueType tools
available at Microsoft's typography page.

That has created a major problem for Persian developers trying to maintain
a web page. They should check the page for any case of medial form of
ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH, and replace it with ARABIC LETTER YEH, because
they look like each other in the medial form. But that also creates
a problem when the users uses a local search on the document.

We want to release a tool for fixing the bug in those fonts, which creates
another font from the original one. We want to check for the existance of
new fonts, so we can serve the correct character if the font is installed.

Sorry for the long message,
Roozbeh