Re: Euro character in ISO

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 01:36:34 EDT

Robert,

I am a big fan of the Windows code pages, they often make my life easier.
However, there is a disadvantage to the fact that even over the course of a
few service packs (let alone a few operating systems!) the code pages have
changed, and there is simply no good documentation that will tell you when
(for example) Farsi characters U+06A9 and U+06AF were added to Windows
CP1256 (Arabic) . All that one knows for certain is that it was before
Windows 98 SE and before NT4 SP5 (although it did no ship with NT4).

When you cannot figure out why an application works on one platform and not
another, it can make you pine for a more stationary standard! :-)

My ISP moved to Windows 2000 so I do not have to worry about making them
install things like newer code page files on the web server, but for a long
time thse differences plagued me heavily.

michka