Re: Euro character in ISO

From: Paul Keinanen (keinanen@sci.fi)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 03:37:37 EDT

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:55:18 -0800 (GMT-0800), Doug Ewell
<dewell@compuserve.com> wrote:

>The problem would be just beginning for all the users of terminals and
>terminal emulators that apparently rely on C1 control codes.

Is there a (somewhat) reliable estimate how many such systems are in
use today ?

The only one I know is VMS and various VT2xx, VT3xx etc. terminals
when set into "8-bit Controls" mode. However, both the VMS terminal
driver and the VT series terminals can be set to the "7-bit Controls"
mode in which the C1 control is replaced by a sequence, e.g. <CSI>
becomes <ESC>[ and so on. At least in this environment I don't see why
applications and terminals would have to support C1 control functions.

At what other environments are these C1 controls used ?

Paul Keinänen