RE: Subject lines in UTF-8 mssgs? [was: Proposal to make ...]

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 05:48:12 EDT

Jaap Pranger wrote:
> This wil not help very much when you send UTF-8 messages. Your
> Subject lines in those messages show up completely "garbled", at
> least in my non-UTF-8-aware email client. OK, that's my problem.
> But mostly other people's UTF-8 messages show 'neat' Subject
> headers.
> What's going on, why this difference?

Ooops!

Of course, when my messages return back to me through the Unicode Lists,
they look OK on my own system. But I occasionally see the problem myself, in
other people's messages.

As far as I can understand, the choice of the outgoing charset is highly
automatic in MS Outlook 2000. I suspects it depends on the combination of
characters that I (or the system) used in the various fields of the e-mail.

Can you mention one specific occurrence of muddled subject sent by me? I am
curious to see what combination of settings and/or "strange" characters I
used.

_ Marco