Re: Designing a multilingual web site

From: Otto Stolz (
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 16:35:34 EDT

Munzir Taha hatte geschrieben:
> Suppose I publish the page, how can people know that I told notepad
> to save as Unicode ;-)

Am 2000-07-18 um 03:03 h UCT hat Michael (michka) Kaplan geschrieben:
> The following should go all in one line at the very top of the header:
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; CHARSET=UTF-8">

As said several times before, this is only part of the story.

HTML 3.2 did not allow any other encoding than ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1);
so you have to use HTML 4.0, or a later HTML version.

Now, HTML 4 requires a document type declaration, cf.
You should also declare the language of your document, cf.
and <>
and the overall directionality, cf.

This means that your HTML source should start approximately as follows:
  <HTML LANG=ar dir=RTL>
    <TITLE>((some meaningful Arabic page-title))</TITLE>

Btw., the page-title is also required by HTML 4. It will show up in book-
mark lists, and in answers from search engines; hence, it should be con-
cise and meaningful, even if read out of context. "Welcome to my homepage"
does not qualify; a better title would be "Otto Stolz: Homepage" (an
entirely fictitious example, though).

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz