Re: Font for Japanese && US applications

From: John O'Conner (john.oconner@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 12:28:54 EDT

pierre vaures wrote:

> To Whom It May Concern:
>
> We develop, on NT4 using Visual C++ 6.0, an international application for
> Japanese
> and US users.
>
> We need to display both English and Japanese (Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana)
> characters.
> We don t find a font able to display both, in particular on NT US.
>
> If you have any information, or ideas, thanks for your help.

Even if you have an appropriate font containing Japanese characters, you may
still have a problem displaying both at the same time on an US English NT
system. Is your application compiled as an "ANSI" or "UNICODE" application?
The distinction is important because of the following:
1. So called ANSI applications use a legacy charset, ie CP 1252 or CP 437 or
CP 850 in the US, for most text handling components. Throwing Japanese SJIS
text at a component that only understands CP 1252 results in garbage on the
display of some text fields and areas.
2. Compiling your app as a UNICODE application means that all Win32 API calls
use Unicode-enabled versions of the API. Text areas expect you to pass
Unicode, and it displays correctly when an appropriate font is used.

-- John O'Conner