Re: What is the difference between i18n and l10n?

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 19:28:38 EDT

From: <Peter_Constable@sil.org>
> Of John's and Michael's explanations, I have to say this is the better
one.
> (Sorry, Michael.)

I won't take it personally. :-)

I simply think that the term Internalization covers a related but entirely
separate function that does not always lead to localization.... a function
that has a valid business purpose. It is certainly how I use the term these
days when dealing with clients who have that business need.

But localizeability is one small part of internationalization. It feels a
bit to me like saying I was born for the specific purpose of dying. I guess
in some senses that is true, but I simply feel there is a whole lot more to
my life than some eventual long-term goal along those lines. :-)

michka