Re: Question regarding bidirectional algorithm

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2000 - 13:39:54 EDT

> David Tooke wrote:

> The bidirectional algorithm mentions mirrored glyphs. The reference code handles them by replacing these characters with their mirror image. Is this the preferred method of doing this? If so, is there any where in the Unicode database that correlates the two characters?

No, but it isn't hard to guess for the most part. Some math operators, though,
do not have mirrored counterparts as characters.

> Otherwise, do I render just render the glyph in reverse, flipping the glyph along the horizontal axis?

That is a more reliable method.

> Wouldn't this screw up italicised characters?

Hmm, an excellent point. Most math operators probably don't have natural
italic/slant versions, though.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)